JANUARY 29, 2018: UPDATE AT BOTTOM
Earlier this week, I posted my latest video from my YouTube channel, called 🚘 JUST DRIVE (HOME) 🏡. It hasn’t been the most viewed video and that might be because I received a copyright claim shortly after posting.
Here’s the claim:
I’m pretty careful when it comes to licensing different music so I was surprised to see this claim. Especially since the claimant isn’t the musician I used in the video.
If I don’t record my own music, I’ll use audio from the terrific CCMixter website. Here’s the process I normally go through:
- Search for different genres of music (Hip hop, Rap, etc.)
- Depending on the title of the video or the content of the video, I’ll attempt to match the audio title with the video
- I’ll download a few different audio files, plug them into a playlist, then put them on shuffle and repeat as I edit the video
- When I download the audio files, I copy the license information into the file itself (see below)
- After a few rounds, I’ll have the audio I think matches the video
- I’ll drag the audio into the video project and add an attribution slide at the end of the video with the license information
It may sound like a lot of work, but it goes fairly quickly now that I have the process down. Here’s what the audio file look like after I’ve added the appropriate licensing:
Given the process and confidence that I’m attributing the license appropriately, I decided to file a dispute:
I don’t know what’ll come of this (I’ll post any updates) but it sure is a good learning experience.
I received the following message. Seems all is good, although I have this nagging feeling the power in this discussion was with the individual who posted the copyright claim.